At PayPal, we believe that now is the time to democratize financial services so that moving and managing money is a right for all citizens, not just the affluent. We are driven by this purpose, and we uphold our cultural values of collaboration, innovation, wellness and inclusion as our guide for making decisions and conducting business every day. It is our duty and privilege to be customer champions and put those we serve at the center of everything we do.
We are one team that respects and values diversity of thought for everyone, everywhere, and we actively seek to create an energizing workplace that brings out the best in all of us. If you’re ready to shape the future of money, join the team at PayPal. We're proud to work here. You will be too.
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 210 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
This role will be responsible for the strategy and execution of PayPal’s communications activities for our business unit based in Shanghai, China. This person will work closely with the APAC communications teams to develop and implement PR plans that help PayPal succeed in China, and also be a strong partner to our Country Manager in providing strategic counsel on-the-ground for our daily operations.
This role includes developing an integrated, strategic communications strategy and driving the company’s consumer, corporate and trade media relations activities to reinforce PayPal’s leadership position in China. This person must have strong, local and country-wide media relationships across TV, print and online media, and proven experience in managing issues with the local media.
This role will be supported by a local PR agency team and will need to demonstrate solid experience in working with PR agencies to deliver results in a cost-effective way.
The successful candidate will be a results-driven and solutions-oriented individual, adept at multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment. This person must be a strong collaborator, and able to drive the role of communications in a highly disruptive industry.
Key responsibilities will be:
- Work closely with the APAC Head of Communications to ensure implementation of a strong local communications plan.
- Be a strong consultant to the Country Manager and other functional leaders for in-market communications needs for China.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of the communications strategy that positions PayPal as a global brand leader in the market.
- Manage the on-the-ground media relations, issues management, crisis communications, content creation, and corporate and brand storytelling narratives.
- Establish communications governance and guidelines for country-level programs.
- Demonstrate strong results in PR output and/or influencer relations
- 8-10 years of experience in communications and/or marketing, and at least 3 years in managing an internal PR team and/or an agency team
- Up-to-date understanding and knowledge of the traditional media and social media landscape in China
- Ability to deliver a successful communications program that considers the strategic business priorities of the China business unit.
- Track record in handling sensitive media issues/crisis communications and providing prompt counsel/media responses.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a highly matrixed, fast-paced environment.
- Experience in working with a regional and global communications team.
- Able to achieve alignment and collaboration among individuals and groups with often disparate objectives.
- Strong media relationships across business, consumer and trade outlets.
- Strong influencer relations is an added advantage.
- Fluent English and Mandarin required.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Individuals seeking employment at PayPal are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation. You have the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.