The Brand & Communications team oversees the communication strategy of BNP Paribas in the Americas including that of Corporate & Institutional Banking, in collaboration with the Bank of the West, and the Group communications teams. The functions of this group include Events & Sponsorship, Media Relations and Social Media, Philanthropic Initiatives, Advertising Client Creative Services and Internal Communications.
The Head of Media Relations for the Americas manages a small team of 2.5. The objective of the role and function is to protect and promote the image of the bank and its constituent businesses. This is done by being proactive and resourceful in sourcing news from the business and the bank and building and maintaining a network of journalists and social network to which these stories can be sold. The job requires tight management skills and the ability to nurture a team of press officers.
Other facets of the job include relaying information / news to senior management, crisis management, development of social media footprint, working closely with internal communications and finally oversight of Canadian and LatAm press and close collaboration with sister-organization Bank of the West.
- Devise a media relations strategy and social media plans for the region and its underlying businesses and initiatives.
- Promote BNP Paribas in the media on a daily basis by sharing business results, important transactions, appointments, other news etc.
- Act as a spokesperson for the BNP Paribas Group in the Americas
- Coordinate media communications (interviews, press releases, awards pitches and media events) and relating to BNP Paribas in North America and LatAm with local team members and agencies.
- Develop relationships with key media representatives to promote recognition of BNP Paribas
- Liaise with media relations and social media counterparties in Paris and at BOW to ensure Americas compliance with global media initiatives
- Assist in media training for BNP Paribas executives, business managers, research teams economists and analysts
- Liaise with Compliance and Legal to ensure all press releases, announcements and media initiatives are within the legal and regulatory parameters
- Serve as back up to the Head of Corporate Communications in her role as a member of the Core Crisis Management team for the Americas
- Manage the small team of 2.5 and any outsourced agency support
- Build Social media presence for the Bank, its business and its key spokespeople and work on initiatives to increase internal advocacy and adoption of social media – involves close collaboration and coordination with Compliance, Legal and IT
- Manage and ensure compliance with all internal and external rules and regulations as they pertain to BNP Paribas
- Work on ad hoc projects as needed
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Good Management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills including ability to negotiate and influence others both internally and externally
- Excellent network of Journalist contacts
- Innovative and creative thinker
- Able to anticipate the impact of various situations and transactions and proactively handle
- Strong ethics and integrity
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a challenging environment
- Network transversally across the organization as required and maintain high standards of professionalism in all dealings with team members and external clients
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective teamwork and collaborative skills
- Commitment to excellence
- Knowledge of the group's goals and strategy within the Americas
- Excellent understanding of Social Media strategy with proven experience of growth and engagement
- Technical: Microsoft Word, Outlook, Powerpoint. Experience of Social Media Monitoring and Content tools
- 10 years of Media Relations Experience
- A Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Knowledge of the banking industry and global financial markets
- Language proficiency (particularly French, Spanish or Portuguese) is a plus but not required