We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
The most successful technology companies are brilliant storytellers, who can effectively engage with business, technical and consumer audiences alike, helping them understand the magic behind and the benefits of the products they use. Proactive storytelling empowers customers to make informed decisions and drives awareness and usage of our products.
Our team is responsible for telling Uber’s story, whether it’s transforming how we get around town and the lives of people who value independent, flexible work; or cutting congestion in cities and complementing public transportation. It’s about building deep relationships with the key news outlets and journalists, finding new ways to tell our story, and working with teams across the company to develop both technical and consumer campaigns that improve public understanding of all the work behind a product’s magic.
In this role, you will be responsible for building and executing our external consumer communications efforts with media, connecting our brand with the millions of people around the world who use Uber every day as riders, drivers, eaters, and couriers.
What You’ll Do
- Lead our consumer communications strategy - from creating inspiring proactive campaigns and media training spokespeople to leveraging your relationships with media, event organizers, and influencers to tell the right Uber stories to the right audiences at the right time
- Provide strategic communications support for the company’s business and policy goals
- Inhabit the role of a brand and team ambassador both internally and externally
- Be a trusted partner-- you will own, build, and manage trusted relationships with executives, spokespeople, media, influencers, and third parties to tell our story and deliver on your strategy
What You’ll Need
- A gifted storyteller - we’re looking for people who can distill complex ideas into simple, intellectually credible narratives
- Strong writing skills, creativity, and passion for the nuts and bolts of tech are musts
- Thinking in soundbites and having a strong instinct for an amazing angle are key, as is an ability to identify and tailor different stories and vehicles to different audiences
- A connected communicator - you have a deep network of strong relationships across the media landscape that you’ll leverage to foster connections, gain insight and ultimately tell our story in a compelling way
- A self starter: You’ll be shaping how we tell our story to the world, requiring the ability to develop relationships, plan, and execute autonomously
- A team player: Success at Uber depends on the ability to organize different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals and ensure the necessary stakeholders are engaged
- Have 8+ years of experience in communications, PR, and/or journalism, as well as with scale computing technologies and open source technologies/organizations