Overview – Head of Internal and Digital Communication
The Head of Internal and Digital Communication is responsible for the internal and digital communication strategy, processes, plans, content, and execution for Sanofi’s North America business. This role covers internal and digital corporate and select product editorial content for the five global business units (Sanofi Pasteur, Sanofi Genzyme, GEM, DCV and CHC) and global functions across North America with special emphasis on transversal topics and employee engagement on behalf the U.S. Country Council and its annual goals.
Sanofi must speak with one voice in the U.S. and showcase its leadership position in the biopharmaceutical landscape. The role will achieve this in these main areas: overseeing the internal and digital communications for key company and brand milestones across business units and the External Affairs organization to align messages, optimize opportunities, and mitigate issues with significant business impact to the organization; building an internal communications platform that supports the U.S. Country Council; creating and posting compelling digital content that highlights our patient centric approach; and building the company’s corporate reputation among internal and external stakeholders through the Empowering Life platform and related culture initiatives.
The leader in this role will have a team of direct reports.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, draft and execute comprehensive internal and digital communication strategies to support the North American business and the priorities of the global business units
- Collaborate with the North America communication team to understand and plan for brand, R&D and corporate milestones to maximize internal and digital news flow
- Ensure alignment with Global Media Relations to create streamlined plans for major news milestones
- Scan and assess the current state of our existing communications and develop a cohesive narrative in the US
- Work with Head of US Brands to develop and implement a plan to effectively advance Sanofi’s reputation through the Empowering Life platform and position our company as a leader in the industry among external stakeholders.
- Liaise with key External Affairs colleagues to optimize advocacy, public affairs, public policy, CSR, and market access opportunities that will enhance Sanofi's corporate reputation. Identify opportunities and address gaps through business partnering and strategic communications counseling.
- Plan and execute major internal meetings and events including production, agenda planning, content creation, speech writing and message pull through
- Manage evolution of Sanofi’s US digital assets, including our US Web site
- Contribute to team cohesiveness by being a highly contributing member of the Sanofi North America Communications leadership team.
- Support internal positioning of the company’s Empowering Life platform and manage development of compelling content, events and relationship development and stakeholder management strategy that helps to extend the reach and recognition of Sanofi.
- Direct and deliver effective executive communications and thought leadership
- Manage and develop the internal and digital communications team including creating a strong succession plan
- Liaise and partner with global internal communication colleagues and lead country communicators to establish Sanofi best practices
- Strong ability to work effectively across functions and levels and business units; proven collaborator
- Ability to counsel and interface successfully with senior executives, communications peers, and colleagues from the extended External Affairs function
- Understanding of how to effectively use communications to influence audiences
- Ability to align and integrate communications strategy and company/industry wide messages that speak as One Sanofi
- Ability to research, develop, deliver and measure communications strategies and plans with a goal of showcasing communications successes to internal and external audiences
- Very strong pharmaceutical business acumen and ability to assimilate strategic information and convert it into clear and concise messages that colleagues and external stakeholders can understand
- Expertise in communications concepts, practices, strategies and tactics based on understanding of key audiences and corporate objectives
- Strong understanding of the full communication team remit including media relations and external affairs industry topics
- Ability to achieve results through collaboration, exerting influence without direct authority
- Proactive, self-starter and able to work independently and in team environment
- Excellent networking and relationship-building skills and the ability to interact with confidence with various levels and functions
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Business Administration or Journalism
- At least 15 years of corporate communications experience, including:
- Strong business acumen skills, ability to think strategically, in a creative and innovative manner
- Customer/patient-focused mindset, with excellent listening and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong organizational skills
- People management experience
- Experience in internal and external communications
- Ability to collaborate in a heavy matrix environment
- Pharmaceutical communications experience (agency or corporate)